Alfred Community Coalition
The Alfred Community Coalition is comprised of members from Alfred University, Alfred State College and the Village and Town of Alfred who are dedicated to addressing issues that arise regarding students living in the Alfred community. The Coalition works proactively to reduce high risk behaviors of students in the community. The Coalition also is committed to promote responsible decision-making of college students and to educate students on their rights and responsibilities as good neighbors and citizens in the Village and Town of Alfred.
Congratulations to the Alfred Community Coalition 2012 Award Winners:
COMMUNITY SERVICE RECOGNITION
Alfred State Transport Team
St. James Mercy Health and Jones Memorial Hospital Emergency Room staff members
2-year or more student members of A.E. Crandall Hook & Ladder:
Kenneth Bellows, Jian Yu, Kaitlin VanderWeide, Jared Singer, and Zachary Mazejka
COMMUNITY SPIRIT AWARD
Kevin Carr, Adrian To, Susie Morrison and Matt Brown
“Be Safe, Give Back, Have Fun” Safe Hot Dog Day campaign
Accomplishments from last year
- ASC's new outdoor siren was successfully tested, and plans are underway to coordinate with the Village and AU for future tests and coordination of use.
- Monitored and studied incidents of violent behaviors compared to past years, to conclude that rumors of increasing violent activity is not really borne out by the data. We will continue to monitor.
- The awards ceremony was a success as we honored groups and individuals who helped keep our community safe. Next time ,we are committed to increasing the number of guests.
Thank you to all the town, village, college and university community members who have contributed to allow us to reach these goals.
Goals for the current year
- Continue working together to maximize the impact and usage of Alfred State's outdoor emergency siren for all community residents.
- Identify ways to address concerns from residents about behaviors of off-campus students, including creating welcome bags for student residents, better information on where students are living, and enhanced enforcement.
Links of interest
Off-campus living for AU students
Alfred Police Department
Village of Alfred
Partners for Prevention in Allegany County
John Dougherty, Chief of Public Safety at Alfred University
Mary Harris, representing Alfred rental property owners
, AU student representative
Tim O'Grady, Alfred Chief of Police
Dr. Norm Pollard, Dean of Students at Alfred University
Virginia Rasmussen, Village Board member and Alfred resident
Greg Sammons, Interim VP for Student Affairs at Alfred State College
Amber Hardy Health and Wellness Educator at Alfred University
Kathy Woughter, VP Student Affairs at Alfred University
Student Senate Chair, Alfred State College
Casey Gross, Assistant Dean, Judicial Affairs, Alfred State College
Justin Grigg, Alfred Village Mayor
Les Kachurlek, University Police, Alfred State College
Zach Hamm, Representative for A. E. Crandall Hook & Ladder
For information, please contact any of the members listed above. The Coalition meets monthly while school is in session; the location and meeting chairperson rotates between the Village Hall, Alfred State College and Alfred University.