Accessibility Services & Accommodations

Alfred University is dedicated to providing all students with full access to its facilities, student programs, activities, and services, as well as providing academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Services are intended to maximize independence and encourage the integration of students with disabilities into all areas of college life.

Who is eligible for Accessibility Services & Accommodations?
Students with disabilities may be elibible for Accessibility Services and accommodations. Assurance of equal educational opportunities rests upon legal foundations established by federal law, specifically Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. By federal law, a person with a disability is a person who:

  • has a physical or mental impairment;
  • has a record of such impairment; or
  • is regarded as having such an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities such as self-care, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, or learning.

How do I register for Accessibility Services and request accommodations?
To register for Accessibility Services, students must:

  • Self-identify and request accommodations by completing the Registration Form.
  • Provide CAS with current medical, psychological, psychoeducational, or neuropsychological documentation indicating your disability and suggested accommodations.
  • Complete the Consent to Release Information Form which allows CAS staff to communicate with faculty and staff to set-up approved accommodations.
  • Mail or email all documents to The Center for Academic Success (see contact information below).

How do I communicate with faculty about accommodations?
Once eligibility for academic accommodation is determined, students are provided with a Letter of Accommodation to give to their professors, informing them that the student qualifies for accessibilty services and what accommodations have been approved. These letters will be made available at the beginning of each semester, or as soon as eligibility is determined. It is the responsibility of the student to share these letters with their professors and to discuss their accommodation needs. Should the faculty member have any further questions or concerns, they are encouraged to contact the student’s Academic Consultant, and/or the Director of CAS. It is the responsibility of the faculty member to assure the confidentiality of information regarding students with disabilities.

What services and accommodations are available to students with disabilities?

Academic Consultation
Students with disabilities registered with CAS will be assigned an Academic Consultant (advanced graduate student in School Psychology) to work with them to arrange accommodations and identify existing campus resources (Writing Center, Tutoring Services, Wellness Center, advisors, etc.). In addition, Academic Consultants will support self-advocacy development, time-management, organization, study skills, and test-taking strategies.

Academic Accommodations
All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis and should be discussed with the student’s Academic Consultant within the first two weeks of the semester, or as soon as the need for accommodation is determined to be appropriate. Common accommodations include but are not limited to:

  • Extended time on exams
  • Reduced distraction envirnment for exams
  • Note-taking assistance
  • Permission to use assistive technoloy

Assistive Technology: Read & Write
Read & Write software makes the internet, documents and files more accessible and is available to ALL Alfred University students, faculty, and staff. It is a friendly, intuitive tool bar that assists individuals at all levels of reading and writing ability with tasks such as reading text out loud, understanding unfamiliar words, researching assignments, and proofing written work. Read & Write is available on most public computers in Herrick and Scholes Libraries and can be downloaded onto personal computers by contacting CAS or ITS.


For any accommodation request that is denied, or when a student has been given an alternate accommodation that is preceived to be inadequate, a student may appeal that decision by initating the Section 504-ADA Grievance Procedures.

CAS Contact Information
Phone: 607-871-2148
Mailing Address: 1 Saxon Drive, Alfred, NY 14802

individuals inspired
Back to Top