Premium Assistance Under Medicaid and the Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

If you or your children are eligible for Medicaid or CHIP and you're eligible for health coverage from your employer, your state may have a premium assistance program that can help pay for coverage, using funds from their Medicaid or CHIP programs. If you or your children aren't eligible for Medicaid or CHIP, you won't be eligible for these premium assistance programs, but you may be able to buy individual insurance coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace.

If you or your dependents are already enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP and you live in a State listed below, contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office to find out if premium assistance is available.

If you or your dependents are NOT currently enrolled in Medicaid or CHIP, and you think you or any of your dependents might be eligible for either of these programs, contact your State Medicaid or CHIP office or dial 1-877-KIDS NOW or to find out how to apply. If you qualify, ask your state if it has a program that might help you pay the premiums for an employer-sponsored plan.

If you or your dependents are eligible for premium assistance under Medicaid or CHIP, as well as eligible under your employer plan, your employer must allow you to enroll in your employer plan if you aren’t already enrolled. This is called a “special enrollment” opportunity, and you must request coverage within 60 days of being determined eligible for premium assistance. If you have questions about enrolling in your employer plan, contact the Department of Labor at Ask EBSA or call 1-866-444-EBSA (3272).

If you live in one of the following states, you may be eligible for assistance paying your employer health plan premiums. The following list of states is current as of July 31, 2018. Contact your State for more information on eligibility

Assistance paying employer health plan premiums by state (as of July, 31, 2018)
State Contact
Alabama Medicated Website
Phone: 1-855-692-5447
Alaska Medicaid The AK Health Insurance Premium Payment Program
Phone: 1-866-251-4861
Medicaid Eligibility: Website
Georgia Medicaid Click on Health Insurance Premium Payment (HIPP)
Phone: 404-656-4507
Arkansas Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-855-MyARHIPP (855-692-7447)
Indiana Medicaid Healthy Indiana Plan for low-income adults 19-64
Phone: 1-877-438-4479
All other Medicaid
Phone: 1-800-403-0864
Colorado Health First Colorado (Colorado’s Medicaid Program) & Child Health Plan Plus (CHP+) Health First Colorado Website
Health First Colorado Member Contact Center: 1-800-221-3943/ State Relay 11
CHP+ Customer Service: 1-800-359-1991/
State Relay 711
Iowa Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-257-8563
Kansas Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-785-296-3512
New Hampshire Medicaid Website
Phone: 603-271-5218
Hotline: NH Medicaid Service Center at 1-888-901-4999
Kentucky Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-635-2570
New Jersey Medicaid and CHIP

Medicaid Website
Medicaid Phone: 609-631-2392
CHIP Website
CHIP Phone: 1-800-701-0710

Louisiana Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-888-695-2447
New York Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-541-2831
Maine Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-442-6003
TIY: Maine relay 711
North Carolina Medicaid Website
Phone: 919-855-4100
Massachusetts Medicaid and CHIP Website
Phone: 1-800-862-4840
North Dakota Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-844-854-4825
Minnesota Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-657-3739
Oklahoma Medicaid and CHIP Website
Phone: 1-888-365-3742
Missouri Medicaid Website
Phone: 573-751-2005
Oregon Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-699-9075
Montana Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-694-3084
Pennsylvania Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-692-7462
Nebraska Medicaid Website
Phone: 855-632-7633
Lincoln: 402-473-7000
Omaha: 402-595-1178
Rhode Island Medicaid Website
Phone: 855-697-4347
Nevada Medicaid Website
Medicaid Phone: 1-800-992-0900
South Carolina Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-888-549-0820
South Dakota Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-888-828-0059
Washington Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-562-3022 ext. 15473
Texas Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-440-0493
West Virginia Medicaid Website
Toll-free phone: 1-855-MyWVHIPP (1-855-699-8447)
Utah Medicaid and CHIP Medicaid Website
CHIP Website
Phone: 1-877-543-7669
Wisconsin Medicaid and CHIP Website
Toll-free phone: 1-800-362-3002
Vermont Medicaid Website
Phone: 1-800-250-8427
Wyoming Medicaid Website
Phone: 307-777-7531
Virginia Medicaid and CHIP Medicaid Website
Medicaid Phone: 1-800-432-5924
CHIP Phone: 1-855-242-8282

To see if any other states have added a premium assistance program since July 31, 2018, or for more information on special enrollment rights, contact either

U.S. Department of Labor Employee Benefits Security Administration

U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Center for Medicare & Medicaid Services
1-877-267-2323, Menu Option 4, Ext.61565

Paperwork Reduction Act Statement

According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 (Pub. L. 104-13) (PRA), no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid Office of Management and Budget (OMB) control number. The Department notes that a Federal agency cannot conduct or sponsor a collection of information unless it is approved by OMB under the PRA, and displays a currently valid OMB control number, and the public is not required to respond to a collection of information unless it displays a currently valid OMB control number. See 44 U.S.C. 3507. Also, notwithstanding any other provisions of law, no person shall be subject to penalty for failing to comply with a collection of information if the collection of information does not display a currently valid OMB control number. See 44 U.S.C. 3512.

The public reporting burden for this collection of information is estimated to average approximately seven minutes per respondent. Interested parties are encouraged to send comments regarding the burden estimate or any other aspect of this collection of information, including suggestions for reducing this burden, to the U.S. Department of Labor, Employee Benefits Security Administration, Office of Policy and Research, Attention: PRA Clearance Officer, 200 Constitution Avenue, N.W., Room N-5718, Washington, DC 20210 or email and reference the OMB Control Number 1210-0137.