Remote Desktop Connection Without VPN
It is possible to establish a remote desktop connection to a desktop or server from off campus without using VPN. The steps are included below.
- Open the Remote Desktop Connection program. This can be found in the start menu under the Windows Accessories folder or by searching for "remote desktop" on your computer.
- In the window that pops up, click Show Option.
- Click the Advanced tab.
- Click Settings under the Connect from anywhere section
- Use the following settings in the window that pops up:
- Click Use these RD Gateway settings
- For Server name, enter "edge.alfred.edu"
- Check Bypass RD Gateway server for local addresses
- Check "Use my RD Gateway credentials for the remote computer"
- Click OK to exit the "RD Gateway Server Settings".
- Click the General tab.
- For Computer, enter your desktop IP/hostname.
- For User name, enter "alfred\<username>" with <username> being replaced by your Alfred username.