Alfred University Emergency Teaching Plan - Option B
Faculty who use Canvas, but who have not taught online.
Faculty who choose this plan will use Canvas to teach their courses online for the remainder of the semester (or as long as on-campus activities are suspended). Delivery will be asynchronous, and students will complete assignments on their own, without any real-time activity (video conferencing, for example).
- Use the Modules page to organize all course content and assignments OR include instructions for locating content using the course menu links on the left-hand side of the screen.
- If using Modules (preferred layout), please set it as your course home page.
- Please keep in mind that items in the Files area appear in alphabetical order; this may be confusing for students if documents are not distributed in the modules.
- Course should include all content laid out in the course syllabus. The learning objectives will be the same, regardless of delivery method. Some assignments may need to be adjusted for the online delivery format.
After you have added content to the course, you should use the check list below to make sure it is ready for student view. Please keep these criteria in mind as you add content to the course.
Course Overview & Navigation
- The course is published.
- Each module is published.
- The items within each module are arranged in chronological order (click and drag on left).
- A printable syllabus is available.
- Syllabus includes Canvas locations for content items and assignments (students know where to look).
- Unused links have been removed from the course menu.
- All assignments include instructions.
Usability & Accessibility
- All web links are text, rather than the URL or “click here.”
- Images contain alternate text.
- One 12 pt. sans-serif font is used throughout the course and in attached documents.
- Documents make use of default titles and formats in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint.
- Text resources have a light background and dark text (colorful text is avoided).
- Instructor’s contact information is included in the Syllabus.
- Captions are available for videos (cc).
- Technical requirements are stated in the syllabus.
- If non-Canvas technologies are used, instructions are provided.
- Contact information for the ITS Helpdesk is clearly stated.
- The technology used in the course is current.