For iPhone and iPad
Mobile devices can be used to connect to the virtual labs if a computer is not available for use. The interface will be harder to work with due to not having a physical keyboard and mouse.
- Navigate to the App Store on your device. Search for and download/install “Microsoft Remote Desktop”
- Once the application is Downloaded and installed, find it on your home screen of your device and click it/tap on it to launch it.
- When asked, click “Continue” and “OK” for all app permissions. It will ask to allow access to Bluetooth, Microphone, and Camera. If your device does not ask for this access just ignore this step and move on to step 4.
- Once your Microsoft Remote Desktop App is open, click on the “Plus Symbol (+)” in the top right and then click “Add PC.”
- In the Add PC window, click on the “PC Name” field. Next, enter the IP address that will be provided to you by your instructor. IP address shown in future screenshots is just used as an example. Please do not use it to connect.
- Once you have added your IP address click on “No Gateway Configured” under the Gateway category.
- In the Gateway box, Click on “Add Gateway.”
- In the Add Gateway box, Click on the “Gateway Name” field.
- For the Gateway type in “edge.alfred.edu” and then hit the red arrow to return to the Add Gateway settings menu.
- Continue to hit the red arrow (back button) until you get back to the “Add PC” box.
- Click on the “User Account” field.
- Ensure that “Ask When Required” is selected.
- Ensure that your PC Name, User Account, and Gateway Settings are correct. Once you have verified this information click “Save” In the top right of the Add PC box. Note: Your IP may be different than the one being used in this example.
- Click on your newly created connection in order to launch your remote session.
- When the Logon Screen appears, type your AU user name and password. This will be the same as your email, but do not include the “@alfred.edu” portion of the username. Click “Continue.”
- If a certificate warning appears choose to “Connect.”
- Once your device makes it to the computer/desktop it is now ready to use. You may use the computer as if you were sitting in front of it at an Alfred University lab space. Note: on mobile the mouse and keyboard will be harder to work with.