Information Technology Services
Password Change Resources
According to Alfred University Password Policy, your password expires every 240 days in order to increase security of Alfred University network resources and sensitive information (such as financial aid status or payroll information).
Effective September 2004, the University requires that users on the network have a complex password. In order to fulfill this requirement, please follow the suggestions below:
Guidelines for Password Security
Be at least 12 characters in length.
- Contain a combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, and punctuation symbols.
- Be easy to remember so you don’t have to write them down.
- Be able to be typed quickly without looking at the keyboard, making it harder for someone to observe your password looking over your shoulder.
Passwords should not:
- Contain your login name in any form.
- Contain your first or last name in any form.
- Contain your spouse’s, child’s or pet’s name.
- Contain other common information about you including social security number, telephone number, license plate number, street or office address, etc.
- Contain more than 2 characters repeated in a row (eeaassyy) or 2 consecutive characters (abc123).
- Contain a word found in English or foreign dictionaries.
- Be shorter than 12 characters.
- Be changed to the same password, for the sake of “change,” or be re-used more; frequently than every fifth password change.
Suggestions for creating a secure password:
- Make up a unique sentence and use the letters of each word in the sentence. Then insert a number or punctuation.
- For example, “Woohoo! The Packers won the Super Bowl!” could make the password: W00!TPwontSB
- A similar method is to take a line from your favorite book or song and use the first letter of each word.
- For example, “To be or not to be, that is the question” could become Tbon2B,t1$t?
For more details and examples please refer to the Password Policy.
Please note: If you use IMB Banner or Web Banner and you wish to use the same password for both you will need to avoid using these non alphanumeric characters described above (! @ $ & " ( ) , < > ` ; = ## blank_space).
Change Password Now