Welcome to the Wellness Center's Peer Education Webpage! Within you will find information on the Peer Education Program, which includes both Wellness Reps and Sexual Assault Prevention Peer Educators.
- Are student volunteers who encourage other students to consider the behaviors, attitudes, and actions that guide their lives
- Assist with health and wellness related programming focused on alcohol and substance abuse prevention, sexual health, fitness, nutrition
andmental health promotion
- Work alongside the Health and Wellness Coordinator in accordance with the Wellness Center's mission and provide programming in the Residence Halls, classroom, and with campus-wide events
- Are concerned about people their own age and are willing to take a stand about issues that affect young people
Sexual Assault Prevention Peer Educator
- Are student volunteers that assist in the development and implementation of programs and initiatives that promote healthy relationships, positive communication, bystander intervention, and consent
- Help create a campus that is safe and free from sexual violence
- Work alongside the Health and Wellness Coordinator in accordance with Alfred University's Discrimination, Harassment and Sexual Misconduct Policy
- Are trained to provide educational opportunities in the Residence Halls, classroom, and with campus-wide events.
What Can Peer Education Do For You?
Peer Educators have the chance to:
- Assume a leadership position
- Make a positive difference in the lives of friends and peers
- Receive professional training
- Work independently to create model prevention programs
- Build their resumes
How Does Peer Education
Having Peer Educators on campus can help to:
- Create a safe and healthy atmosphere for students
- Influence policy
- Influence individual behavior
- Provide leadership
- Teach a holistic approach to well-being
Interested In Becoming a Peer Educator: Wellness Rep and/or Sexual Assault Prevention Peer Advocate?
Know What to Expect:
- All Peer Educators must attend a 5-hour Peer Educator Training at the beginning of the Fall semester. Students who want to become a Sexual Assault Prevention Peer Educator must go through
an additional4-hour training.
- Students can be both a Wellness Rep and a Sexual Assault Prevention Peer Educator
- Wellness Reps and Sexual Assault Prevention Peer Educators are required to participate in two programs per semester. Members must participate for a minimum of two semesters.
- All Peer Educators must attend bi-weekly group meetings with the Health &