Consumer Complaint Procedure

Institutional Procedure

Complaints can be initiated for both academic and non-academic concerns related to a belief that the institution has acted contrary to its published standards, or that conditions at the institution appear to jeopardize the quality of the institution's instructional programs. A written complaint is filed with the head of the academic or administrative unit in which the complaint originated. If the complaint is not resolved to the satisfaction of the complainant, it continues to be filed using the organizational hierarchy until a satisfactory resolution has been reached.

If a satisfactory resolution cannot be reached using this Institutional Procedure, the complaint may be filed with the New York State Education Department, Office of Higher Education.

New York State Education Department Postsecondary Complaint Procedure

  • The Office of Higher Education’s Complaint information may be accessed at this link or obtained from the Student Experience Office.
  • The Office of Higher Education does not intervene in matters concerning an individual’s grades or examination results, as these are the prerogative of the institution’s faculty.
  • The Office does not handle complaints concerning actions that occurred more than five years ago.
  • A complaint involving discrimination against enrolled students on the part of an institution or faculty, or involving sexual harassment, should be filed with the U.S. Office of Civil Rights, 75 Park Place, New York, NY 20007.
  • A complaint involving consumer fraud on the part of the institution should be directed to the Office of the New York State Attorney General, Justice Building, Empire State Plaza, Albany, NY 12223.