Residency Requirements

Alfred University is a residential University. We believe that residence hall living is a key component of a student-centered educational experience in which academic learning is integrated with student development. Each student is personally accountable for maintaining a safe, secure and clean environment in his/her residence that promotes a healthy standard of community living.

For these reasons provisions are made to house students on campus throughout their undergraduate years. Students are required to live on campus for three years. Students may be eligible for an off-campus release if they meet one or more of the following criteria:

  • Married, in a legal domestic partnership, or a single parent
  • 23 years of age or older
  • Commuting from their permanent home and primary residence of parent or legal guardian within 60 miles of campus
  • Participating in a co-op or study abroad program
  • Transferred to Alfred and lived on campus for three years at another institution

Housing Requirement

Alfred University recognizes the importance of providing reasonable accommodations in its housing policies and practices where necessary for individuals with disabilities to use and enjoy University housing. The Housing Accommodation Policy explains the specific requirements and guidelines which govern requests for reasonable accommodation in University housing. AU reserves the right to amend this policy at any time as circumstances require.

The Disability Housing Committee (DHC) is responsible for evaluating whether to grant or deny requests for reasonable accommodation in University housing. The DHC includes representatives from the Center for Academic Success, which oversees Accessibility Services, the Office of Residence Life, and the University Wellness Center. Individuals with a disability who reside or intend to reside in University housing who believe they need a reasonable accommodation must follow the procedures outlined in Alfred University's Housing Accommodation Policy.

If a student meets one of the aforementioned criteria and wishes to be considered for an exemption, or if a student has completed the three year residency requirement and would like to live off campus, please complete the required waiver.