Alfred University is a residential University. We believe that residence hall living is a key component of a student-centered educational experience in which academic learning is integrated with student development.
For these reasons, provisions are made to house students on campus throughout their undergraduate years. Students are required to live on campus for a minimum of three years (six semesters). In order to be considered for a waiver to the housing policy after residing on campus for three years, students must have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average, no active conduct disciplinary status, and have participated in a designated seminar to learn about what it means to be a responsible member of the larger community.
Students may be eligible for an off-campus release prior to completing the minimum three-year residency requirement if they meet one or more of the following criteria:
- Married, in a legal partnership
- Providing direct care for a legal dependent
- 23 years of age or older
- Honorably discharged veteran of the US Armed Forces: DD-214 must be provided as documentation
- Already possessing a baccalaureate degree from an accredited institution (reviewed for verification)
- Residing with a parent or court-appointed legal guardian at the person’s permanent address who is commuting one-way fewer than:
- 60 miles (enrolled prior to Spring 2023)
- 30 miles (enrolled after Fall 2022)
- Completing an academic approved co-op, internship, or study abroad not within the respective mile travel distance from campus*
- Transfer students upon admission that show through documentation that they have resided on campus at another institution for 3 years and upon transfer have a minimum 3.0 cumulative grade point average at their prior institution
*NOTE: If a waiver is submitted due to a student doing an internship, co-op, or study abroad, the student’s academic advisor must email email@example.com confirming such requirement for the specified semester. In addition, the internship site must provide a schedule that shows consistent travel outside the respective travel distance. Once all documentation is received, a determination will be made.
Any student who wishes to live off campus, including those who reside within the respective travel distance with a parent or legal guardian, must request a waiver of this policy. This waiver form is available in the AU Housing Self-Service Portal as well as on the Residence Life website. All waiver requests will be considered in accordance with this policy and the University’s intent to maximize the educational experience. Waivers may be given for one-year or multiple years depending on the circumstances.
Waivers can be revoked for:
- Submission of false or intentionally misleading statements
- Cumulative grade point averages that fall below the minimum 3.0
- Behavior in the community that does not align with what it means to be a member of the larger community
DO NOT sign a lease to reside off campus until you are notified that your Off-Campus Waiver has been approved.
Waivers for students currently residing on campus will be reviewed immediately after fall and spring grades are due. Please check the Academic Calendar for specific time frames.
Please note: Students who fail to comply with the Housing Policy will be charged at the double room rate and the lowest meal plan for which they are eligible for each semester registered for classes.