Liability and Property Damage Insurance

Generally, insurance coverage for authorized business travel is provided through the University's insurance policy.

Insurance coverage for University authorized car rentals reverts initially to the rental agency. Supplemental coverage is provided through the University’s insurance policy, as such, it is not necessary to purchase extra coverage when entering into an agreement with the rental agency.

There is a deductible for physical damage which would be the responsibility of the traveler’s department. Any accident involving a rental vehicle must be reported to both the car rental agency and the VP for Business & Finance for handling of claims and coordination of coverage.

Additional insurance purchased through the rental company is considered a personal expense and will not be reimbursed by the University.

Coverage carried by the owner is primary in the event of an accident. The traveler is responsible for any deductibles under the policy. If personal limits are exceeded supplemental coverage may be provided through the University’s insurance policy. Physical damage insurance for personal autos used on University business is not provided. A minimum of $100,000/$300,000 liability and $50,000 no-fault insurance should be carried by an individual using his/her private automobile on University business.