This page details the information needed in order to receive reimbursement from Alfred University for transportation expenses.

The class of air travel chosen is expected to be the least costly; generally, this is coach class or standard accommodations. Travel in any other class of service must be approved by the area VP/Dean. Air transportation is restricted to regularly scheduled commercial airlines.

The difference between coach and first class/business class travel, if any, is considered a personal expense and will not be reimbursed by the University. Travel insurance should not be purchased.  Flight purchases should be completed by using a University issued credit card.

Rental Car: Rental cars are encouraged for trips over 100 miles and should be reserved at the time travel arrangements are known.

The University has a corporate agreement with Enterprise Rent-A-Car; as such, this agency should be used when making your travel arrangements. Use of other car rental firms is authorized when the cost is less than that of Enterprise or Enterprise does not have an agency in the city of travel. Rental cars must be returned to the rental company with the appropriate amount of fuel.

Motor Pool: if available, a motor pool vehicle may be reserved for trips under 100 miles. Motor pool reservations should be made at the time travel arrangements are known.

Personal Vehicle: Personal vehicles may be used and are reimbursable at the stated mileage reimbursement rate.

Taxi/Shuttle Service: Local taxi fares, train fares, UBERs and shuttles are reimbursable and may be the most cost effective once at your travel destination.

Use of rental cars at travel destinations is limited to circumstances where other transportation is either more expensive or impractical. When vehicle rental is necessary, the least costly type of rental vehicle (i.e., compact, or economy car) should be used when possible.

The difference between the cost of taxi travel and limousine travel (unless the business purpose renders it a necessity and the area VP/Dean approves the cost in advance) is considered a personal expense and will not be reimbursed by the University.


Parking: tickets, fines for moving violations, vehicle towing charges, auto repairs and maintenance, and gasoline purchased for a personal vehicle are considered personal expenses and will not be reimbursed by the University.

All general policies pertaining to travel apply to foreign travel. Actual costs are reimbursable, to the extent reasonable and necessary, provided adequate documentation is submitted with the TER. In addition, fees for currency exchange are reimbursable. The traveler is responsible for converting travel costs into US dollars.


The Fly America Act requires use of U.S.-flagged air carriers for foreign air travel that is funded by federal government grants, contracts, or scholarships. There are exceptions to the Fly America Act requirement. The Office of Sponsored Research Administration provides a “Fly America Act Waiver Checklist” to determine if exceptions apply to any particular foreign trip. In addition, some federal contracts require trip-specific prior approval by the sponsor, even if the awarded budget includes foreign travel expenses. The Office of Sponsored Research Administration should be consulted regarding any planned foreign travel using federal funds before travel arrangements are made.

Please note the costs of obtaining a passport or other items necessary for foreign travel are considered a personal expense and will not be reimbursed by the University.

For international travel advisories, please check the Department of State website: