Congratulations to all our graduates! Commencement is an amazing milestone to share with your family, friends and loved ones.
We know Commencement is a special tradition. While this past year has been interrupted in ways we could never have imagined, we want to commend you on your hard work and accomplishments.
Graduation and Commencement will be May 15, 2021.
At this point, we are not able to provide this in-person experience, BUT staff are diligently working to provide a wonderful, virtual experience. We will keep you apprised of the details as they become available.
Please be sure your home mailing address is current.
What You Need To Do
- You should check-in with your advisor in the Fall semester of your senior year.
- Complete any progress or curriculum sheets required by your school/college.
- Run a degree evaluation to see if you met all the requirements to graduate.
- If there are any red "Nos" you may be lacking requirements and be at risk for not earning your degree. See your advisor.
- You should apply no later than 2 months before expected graduation.
- If your diploma will be mailed, you should confirm your current mailing address on Bannerweb. Email the registrar to make any updates to your address.
- Graduation Application
- Bring to Student Service Center in Seidlin Hall or email.
- Speak with the registrar (within the month before) to be sure your name will be pronounced correctly at the ceremony.
- To confirm that your graduation application was received you can check your academic transcript in the Banner Secure Area. The Degree Awarded section will change from "Sought" to "Pending."
- If you are not graduating but wish to attend the ceremony, you must be sure you meet the requirements to do so. Please review Undergraduate Academic Regulation 202.1.
- If you do, submit a graduation application indicating the term you will graduate and note you plan to attend the May commencement ceremony.
- If you do not, you will still need to apply to graduate for the term you will finish AND complete a Petition to Walk form.
We will be providing all May 2021 graduates with a cap, dated tassel and stole. If you would like to order a gown and hood (optional) you may purchase them through the bookstore. For FREE shipping to the AU Bookstore you must place your order by March 5th. You may place an order after this date but there will be additional shipping charges. For answers to any questions, please contact Marcy Bradley.
For class rings, visit our partner, Balfour.
On campus students can schedule an appointment during the week of April 12th with a photographer. Please use this link to schedule your session: http://aka.alfred.edu/GraduationPhoto. Be sure you have applied to graduate so you can pick up your cap and tassel for the photo.
For graduates who cannot return to campus to have a photograph taken, you may submit your own photograph. Please be sure your photo is renamed with your name and AUID so we know who it belongs to. Please submit your photo prior to Monday, April 26. Submit using this link.
- Your account must have a zero balance in order to receive your diploma. Go to MyAU to check your Cashnet account.
- Return ITS lending equipment by the first Monday of May to avoid charges.
- Clean out your email mailbox.
- To keep your Alfred email address, go to Email For Life.
Return all library materials from Herrick and Scholes (including Interlibrary Loans) by the end of final exams. Verify that your library account is clear and that you will not be billed for any outstanding items. Check your account online by going to the Alfred Libraries website and signing in at the top right corner or by email.
- If you're graduating in December, submit a contract breakage form no later than December 1.
- Return your room key to Residence Life and mailbox key to the mailroom.
- Check out of campus housing with a Residence Life staff member.
- Seniors need to move out by 5 PM the day of graduation.
What You Need To Know
At the end of each academic semester, students are eligible to graduate and receive their degrees.
- Allen - January 31st
- May - Date of Commencement
- Summer - August 31st
- Fall - December 31st
All students still must apply. All grades must be completed, and any transcripts must be received prior to the dates listed in order to be awarded a diploma.
Diplomas will be mailed to the address on record within two weeks of the dates noted above. Check your BannerWeb account for your current address and contact Registrar's Office with any changes.
- You will need to complete Loan Exit Counseling. Notice and information will be provided to you by the Financial Aid Office for the Federal Direct Loans and by the Student Accounts Office for the Alumni Loan Programs. The notice normally comes to you approximately 2 weeks after graduation.
The Career Development Center staff can help you plan for an effective job search or apply to graduate school, write a resume and cover letter, network with alumni in your field, or any other career-related interests that you might have. Go to our website Career Development Center, call 607-871-2164, or email us for more information.
Login to Handshake with your Alfred University email address and password.
- Click on Career Center and First Destination Survey to tell us what you plan to do after graduation.
- Click on Jobs to check out opportunities in your field.
- Click on Career Center and Appointments to schedule a meeting.
Join the CDC Alumni Group on LinkedIn to stay connected with us. We have been posting lots of information here about companies that are hiring now and how to manage a job search during these difficult times.
- Visit our Commencement Page.
What happens Next: Plans After Graduation
- To obtain a transcript, go to our Transcript Request page. Your student account must be in good standing in order to release a transcript.
- Check BannerWeb to be sure your address is current, especially if your diploma will be mailed to you. You can update your address in BannerWeb or contact Student Service Center.
- Don't forget to inactivate any local address you had if you were living off campus.