Congratulations to all our graduates! Commencement is an amazing milestone to share with your family, friends and loved ones.
Virtual Celebration of our Graduates May 16
We celebrated our May 2020 graduates virtually on Saturday, May 16th. If you missed it you can still view the Virtual Celebration Ceremony. We heard from President Zupan, our Board of Trustees Chair Greg Connors, our December Commencement Speaker Peter Cuneo, our two Marlin Miller Outstanding Seniors and each of our Deans.
Commencement is postponed until December 19, 2020
We know Commencement is a special tradition. While this semester has been interrupted in ways we could never have imagined, we want to commend you on your hard work and accomplishments.
If you will have completed all of your graduation requirements in May, you will still graduate and be eligible to receive your diploma. Work hard, do well, graduate and we will celebrate with you soon.
*Pay attention to your emails and Alfred Today announcements for further details and direction on both May graduation and December Commencement.
What you need to Do
- You should check-in with your advisor in the Fall semester of your senior year
- Complete any progress or curriculum sheets required by your school/college
- Run a degree evaluation to see if you met all the requirements to graduate
- If there are any red "No's" - you may be lacking requirements and be at risk for not earning your degree. See your advisor!
- You should apply no later than 2 months before expected graduation
- Apply online (preferred)
- Download a form
- Bring to Student Service Center in Seidlin Hall or email
- Speak with the registrar (within the month before) to be sure your name will be pronounced correctly at the ceremony
- To confirm that your graduation application was received you can check your academic transcript in the Banner Secure Area. The Degree Awarded section will change from "Sought" to "Pending"
- If you are not graduating but wish to attend the ceremony, you must be sure you meet the requirements to do so. Please review Undergraduate Academic Regulation 202.1
- If you do, submit a graduation application indicating the term you will graduate and note you plan to attend the May commencement ceremony
- If you do not, you will still need to apply to graduate for the term you will finish AND complete a Petition to Walk form
- Your account must have a zero balance in order to receive your diploma. Go to MyAU to check your Cashnet account
- Return ITS lending equipment by the first Monday of May, to avoid charges
- Clean out your email mailbox
- To keep your Alfred email address go to Email for Life
To verify that your library account is clear and that you will not be billed please contact the Libraries. Or, if you know you currently have library materials from Herrick or Scholes (or Interlibrary Loan) please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to make arrangements to return materials safely.
- If you're graduating in December, submit a contract breakage form no later than December 1
- Return your room key to residence life and mailbox key to the mailroom
- Check out of campus housing with a Residence Life staff member
- Seniors need to move out by 5 PM the day of graduation
What you need to KNOW
At the end of each academic semester students are eligible to graduate and receive their degrees. (On-campus Commencement ceremonies are typically held in May. This year, due to the necessary precautions regarding the COVID-19 virus, we will hold our Commencement celebration in December for our Allen Term, May and December 2020 along with our Summer and Fall 2019 graduates.)
- Allen - January 31st
- May - Date of commencement
- Summer - August 31st
- Fall - December 31st
All students still must apply. All grades must be completed and any transcripts must be received prior to the dates listed in order to be awarded your diploma.
Diplomas will be mailed to the address on your record or to the address noted on your Application to Graduate (if different that the address on record) within two weeks of the dates noted above.
May 2020 graduates who wish to receive their diplomas by mail will get them no later than May 31, 2020.
May 2020 Commencement has been postponed due to COVID-19 related precautions. Our hearts go out to the members of our Class of 2020 and your families. We share your disappointment about not celebrating as usual in May, however we look forward to rejoicing in December.
- 2020 graduation ceremony is planned for December 19, 2020 at 10 AM in the McLane Gym
- Each graduate will receive 5 tickets for graduation. Click here for more information.
- Plan to be in the Joyce and Walton Family Center for Health & Wellness for the start. The line will form in the Joyce and Walton Center at McLane Center. Faculty marshals will assist in forming the line. Please arrive on time.
- Regalia must be worn. The tassel on your mortarboard cap should be worn on the right.
- Parking near McLane Center is limited so where do you park?
- When you come up to the stage, please remain standing at the top of the stairs until your name is announced, and then proceed across the stage to shake hands with President Zupan and to receive your diploma.
- May Graduates: If you earned honors your honor cords were mailed with your diploma. DON'T FORGET to bring them with you to Commencement.
- You will need to complete a Loan Exit Counseling. Notice and information will be provided to you by the Financial Aid Office for the Federal Direct Loans and by the Student Accounts Office for the Federal Perkins Loan and the Alumni Loan Programs. The notice normally comes to you approximately 2 weeks after graduation.
The Career Development Center staff can help you plan for an effective job search or apply to graduate school, write a resume and cover letter, network with alumni in your field, or any other career-related interests that you might have. Go to our website Career Development Center, call 607-871-2164, or email email@example.com us for more information.
Login to Handshake with your Alfred University email address and password.
- Click on Career Center and First Destination Survey to tell us what you plan to do after graduation
- Click on Jobs to check out opportunities in your field
- Click on Career Center and Appointments to schedule a meeting
Join the CDC Alumni Group on LinkedIn to stay connected with us. We have been posting lots of information here about companies that are hiring now and how to manage a job search during these difficult times.
- Visit our Commencement Page
What happens Next - Plans after graduation
- To obtain a transcript, go to our Transcript Request page. Your student account must be in good standing in order to release a transcript.
- Check BannerWeb to be sure your address is current, especially if your diploma will be mailed to you. You can update your address in BannerWeb or contact Student Service Center.
- Don't forget to inactivate any local address you had if you were living off campus