Congratulations to all our graduates! Commencement is an amazing milestone to share with your family, friends and loved ones.
We know Commencement is a special tradition. While the past few years have been interrupted in ways we could never have imagined, we want to commend you on your hard work and accomplishments.
Graduation and Commencement will be May 14, 2022.
If things stay on track, we expect to have an in-person ceremony. Check back for updates.
Please be sure your home mailing address is current.
What You Need To Do
- You should check-in with your advisor in the Fall semester of your senior year.
- Complete any progress or curriculum sheets required by your school/college.
- Run a degree audit to see if you met all the requirements to graduate.
- All must show complete. See your advisor if all areas are not satisfied.
- You should apply no later than 2 months before expected graduation.
- If your diploma will be mailed, you should confirm your current mailing address on Bannerweb. Email the registrar to make any updates to your address.
- Graduation Application
- Bring to Student Service Center in Seidlin Hall or email.
- Speak with the registrar in person or leave a voice mail at 607-871-2919 within the month before the May ceremony to be sure your name will be pronounced correctly at the ceremony.
- To confirm that your graduation application was received you can check your academic transcript in the Banner Secure Area. The Degree Awarded section will change from "Sought" to "Pending."
- If you are not graduating but wish to attend the ceremony, you must be sure you meet the requirements to do so. Please review Undergraduate Academic Regulation 202.1.
- If you do meet the requirements, submit a graduation application indicating the term you will graduate and note you plan to attend the May commencement ceremony.
- If you do not, you will still need to apply to graduate for the term you will finish AND complete a Petition to Walk form.
- Your account must have a zero balance in order to receive your diploma. Go to MyAU to check your Cashnet account.
- Return all library materials from Herrick and Scholes (including Interlibrary Loans) by the end of final exams.
- Verify that your library account is clear and that you will not be billed for any outstanding items. Check your account online by going to the Alfred Libraries website and signing in at the top right corner or by email.
- Return ITS lending equipment by the first Monday of May to avoid charges.
- Clean out your email mailbox.
- To keep your Alfred email address, go to Email For Life.
- If you're graduating in December, submit a contract breakage form no later than December 1.
- Return your room key to Residence Life and mailbox key to the mailroom.
- Check out of campus housing with a Residence Life staff member.
- Seniors need to move out by 5 PM the day of graduation. Seniors to return their Room key and FOB to a residence life staff member. Mail keys and printer fobs go to mail services.
For any student not attending the May ceremony but still in the area can pick up their diploma the following week.
For Summer/August and December graduations students can email the registrar's office to notify they plan to pick up diploma. Send an email to email@example.com prior to the conferral (awarding) date. We aim to have diplomas ready for pick up/mailing within two weeks of conferral date.
We cannot release your diploma if there is an account hold, so be sure to check that your account is in good standing. Bring ID.
What You Need To Know
- You will need to complete Loan Exit Counseling. Notice and information will be provided to you by the Financial Aid Office for the Federal Direct Loans and by the Student Accounts Office for the Alumni Loan Programs. The notice normally comes to you approximately 2 weeks after graduation.
At the end of each academic semester, students are eligible to graduate and receive their degrees.
- Allen - January 31st
- May - Date of Commencement
- Summer - August 31st
- Fall - December 31st
All students still must apply. All grades must be completed, and any transcripts must be received prior to the dates listed in order to be awarded a diploma.
Diplomas will be mailed to the address on record within two weeks of the dates noted above. Check your BannerWeb account for your current address and contact Registrar's Office with any changes or if you wish to pick up your diploma.
The Career Development Center staff can help you plan for an effective job search or apply to graduate school, write a resume and cover letter, network with alumni in your field, or any other career-related interests that you might have. Go to our website Career Development Center, call 607-871-2164, or email us for more information.
Login to Handshake with your Alfred University email address and password.
- Click on Career Center and First Destination Survey to tell us what you plan to do after graduation.
- Click on Jobs to check out opportunities in your field.
- Click on Career Center and Appointments to schedule a meeting.
Join the CDC Alumni Group on LinkedIn to stay connected with us. We have been posting lots of information here about companies that are hiring now and how to manage a job search during these difficult times.
- Visit our Commencement Page.
What happens Next: Plans After Graduation
- To obtain a transcript, go to our Transcript Request page. Your student account must be in good standing in order to release a transcript.
- Check BannerWeb to be sure your address is current, especially if your diploma will be mailed to you. You can update your address in BannerWeb or contact Student Service Center.
- Don't forget to inactivate any local address you had if you were living off campus.