Self-Study For Middle States Re-accreditation
July, 2017 Update
At their June meeting, the Middle States Commission accepted the latest monitoring report and requested a progress report be submitted on April 1, 2018. The Commission's letter to the University can be found under Self-Study Reports.
April, 2017 Update
The latest follow-up monitoring report requested by Middle States was submitted on March 31, 2017. The report is available through the "Reports" link on the left.
Alfred University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE).
What is accreditation and why do it?
Accreditation is intended to strengthen and sustain higher education, making it worthy of public confidence and minimizing the scope of external control. Regional accreditation, a means of self-regulation adopted by the higher education community, has evolved to support these goals.
Membership in MSCHE includes a commitment to continuous self-assessment. Based upon the results of an institutional review by peers and colleagues, accreditation attests that an institution:
- Has a mission appropriate to higher education
- Is guided by well-defined and appropriate goals, including goals for student learning
- Has established conditions and procedures under which its mission and goals can be realized
- Assesses both institutional effectiveness and student learning outcomes, and uses the results for improvement
- Is accomplishing its mission and goals substantially
- Is organized, staffed and supported so that it can be expected to continue to accomplish its mission and goals
- Meets the eligibility requirements and standards of the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
The Commission’s accreditation standards were developed by consensus among member institutions in the Middle States region. They identify an institution’s mission, goals and objectives as guideposts for all aspects of the accreditation protocol.
The accreditation standards focus on two fundamental questions:
- Are we, as an institutional community, achieving what we want to achieve?
- What should we do to improve our effectiveness in achieving our fundamental aims?
(information extracted from the MSCHE publication Self Study: Creating a Useful Process and Report, 2nd edition, 2007)