Congratulations to all our graduates! Commencement is an amazing milestone to share with your family, friends and loved ones.
May 18 10 AM
*Pay attention to your emails and Alfred Today announcements for further details and direction.
What you need to DO
Meet with your advisor
- You should meet with your advisor in the Fall semester of your senior year.
- Complete any progress or curriculum sheets required by your school/college.
- Run a degree evaluation to see if you met all the requirements to graduate.
- If there are any red "No"s - you may be lacking requirements and be at risk for not earning your degree. See your advisor!
- You should apply no later than 2 months before expected graduation.
- Apply online (preferred)
- Download a form
- Speak with the registrar (within the month before) to be sure your name will be pronounced correctly at the ceremony.
- To confirm that your graduation application was received you can check your academic transcript in the Banner Secure Area. The Degree Awarded section will change from "Sought" to "Pending".
- Stop in to the Barnes & Noble college store to order your Cap & Gown and/or Class Rings.
- Watch the Announcements for when you can order.
- You can pick up your cap & gown usually starting the week before graduation.
- Your account must have a zero balance in order to receive your diploma. Go to MyAU to check your Cashnet account.
- Return ITS lending equipment by the first Monday of May, to avoid charges.
- Clean out your email mailbox.
- To keep your Alfred email address go to Email for Life.
- Return your room and mailbox keys.
- Check out of campus housing with a Residence Life staff member.
- Seniors need to move out by 5 PM the day of graduation.
- If you're graduating in December, submit a contract breakage form no later than December 1.
What you need to KNOW
- 2019 graduation ceremony is Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 10 AM in the McLane Gym.
- Each graduate will receive 5 tickets for graduation. Additional tickets may be available. Click here for more information.
- Plan to be in the Joyce and Walton Family Center for Health & Wellness by 9:15 AM. The line will form in the Joyce and Walton Center at McLane Center. Faculty marshals will assist in forming the line. Please arrive on time.
- Regalia must be worn. The tassel on your mortarboard cap should be worn on the right.
- Parking near McLane Center is limited so where do you park?
- When you come up to the stage, please remain standing at the top of the stairs until your name is announced, and then proceed across the stage to shake hands with President Zupan and to receive your diploma.
- You will need to complete a Loan Exit Counseling. Notice and information will be provided to you by the Financial Aid Office for the Federal Direct Loans and by the Student Accounts Office for the Federal Perkins Loan and the Alumni Loan Programs. The notice normally comes to you approximately 4 weeks before the end of your last semester.
- Friday, April 26, 2019 at 4:00 PM in Miller Theater.
- There is no limit on the number of guests.
- Before graduating connect with the Career Development Center. 607-871-2164, or firstname.lastname@example.org
- We can help you plan for an effective job search or graduate school search, write a resume and cover letter, and request references or recommendation letters.
Plan for an effective job and graduate school search strategy.
- Join the CDC Alumni Group on LinkedIn.
- Please let the Career Development Center know what you plan to do after graduation on Handshake.
- Login to Handshake to get started.
- If you are still searching, please let us know how we can assist you!
What happens Next - Plans after graduation
- Graduate School Applications should be started in the summer/fall of your senior year.
- Alfred Graduate Programs
- Call our Office of Graduate Admissions at 607-871-2115.
- Stay connected to AU! Register online or call 607-871-2144 to receive alumni/campus news, event updates, class Reunion and classmate information.
- There is no charge for transcripts. Student account must be in good standing. To obtain a transcript, go to our Transcript Request page.
- Can do in Self-service or call the Student Service Center.