CAS' Writing Center will be using Microsoft Teams to provide all writing support for the remainder to the semester. The Writing Center provides free writing assistance to all Alfred University students (undergraduate and graduate), faculty and staff. Our student tutors represent a wide range of disciplines. Each tutor is trained to deal with all kinds of writing tasks such as:
- Discovery of ideas
- Generating a thesis
- Organizing thoughts and materials
- Developing evidence
- Incorporating research
- Presentation issues
Whatever your need - whether it's a quick grammar brush-up or long-term assistance with a research paper - we can help you improve your writing abilities and gain confidence as a writer.
The tutors at the Writing Center represent a variety of writing backgrounds. All of us feel we can help you with any type of writing, but if you would rather go to someone in your major, that's fine too. Check the staff page to view the list and description of all of the tutors and schedule for the current semester.
***CAS' Writing Center will be using Microsoft Teams to provide all writing support for the remainder to the semester***
- Click on the "Make an appointment" link above and log in using your AU user name and password. Follow these instructions: Scheduling a Writing Center Appointment.
- Download Microsoft Teams (available through your AU 365 account) if you have not already. Instructions for downloading Teams can be found on the How to Guides page.
- If difficulties arise with meeting via MS Teams please know that your tutor is available to meet with you on other platforms that may work better for you such as Skype or FaceTime but we ask that you try Teams first. If Teams is not accessible to you, please input your preferred contact information (e.g., phone number, Skype username, etc.) in the 'notes' section when scheduling your appointment in TutorTrac.
- When choosing a platform, keep in mind that meetings tend to be more effective if you can have a conversation and see the same materials in real time.
- After you sign up for your appointment on TutorTrac, your tutor will send you an invite to a Teams meeting for that day and time. You will get an email notification asking you to accept the meeting as well as a notification on Teams letting you know the same information.
- At the time of the meeting your tutor will start the meeting and, even if you have the Teams application completely closed, you will get a notification that they started the meeting. You can then join the meeting through that notification or open the application and join through the ‘Calendar’ tab on the left-hand side of the window. Click ‘Join’ where your appointment is and you will join the meeting.
- Your tutor will prompt you to attach your document and assignment prompt in the chat by clicking the paperclip icon below your chat bar. They will now have access to your document and you can both edit it together.
If you have questions about the Writing Center please contact Vicky Westacott.