What is an Academic Consultant?
Academic Consultants are advanced graduate students in the Alfred University school psychology program who can assist you with developing and improving the skills necessary to be successful in college.
Who can use Academic Consultation?
- Academic Consultation is available to all Alfred University students.
- To make an appointment with an Academic Consultant you can call or email CAS.
- Developing time-management, organization, note-taking and study skills.
- Understanding and using effective learning strategies.
- Identifying and overcoming obstacles that may be impeding your academic success.
- Identifying other campus resources that may be helpful to you.
- Initial consultation appointments typically last about 45 minutes.
- During your first meeting, the consultant will do an intake assessment to determine your strengths, interests and areas for improvement. Your consultant may assign you new strategies or exercises to try before your next meeting.
- In later meetings, you and your consultant will continue to work together to apply personalized, research-based strategies to help you develop the skills you need to succeed in college.
- Consultants may also refer you to other campus resources, such as the Wellness Center, the Career Development Center, your academic advisor, etc.
Senior Academic Consultants
Jackie Diana, MA
Jackie received her Master’s Degree in School Psychology from Alfred University. She loves to rewatch The Office and Harry Potter series. Jackie also enjoys doing puzzles and taking her dog on scenic hikes.
Abby Nevill, MA
Abby received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, with minors in Education and Spanish, from Juniata College. Abby enjoys painting, running, and spending time outside.
Mitch Murphy, MA
Mitch received his Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, and Master's Degree in School Psychology, from Alfred University. In his spare time, he pursues many creative projects and has recently written a fiction novel.
Jess Owen, BA
Jess received her Bachelor's Degree in Psychology with minors in Human Services and Sociology from Saint Bonaventure University.
Nick Sanders, BS
Nick is from Olean, New York. He received his Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology, with a minor in Sociology, from St. Bonaventure University. Nick has two cats and is a Game of Thrones and Harry Potter Superfan!
Matt VanDamme, BS
Matt received his Bachelor's Degree in Psychology, with a minor in Public Justice, from SUNY Oswego. During Matt's free time, you can find him at a golf course or ski resort enjoying his two favorite hobbies.
CAS Contact Information