Accessibility Services & Accommodations

Alfred University is dedicated to providing all students with full access to its facilities, student programs, activities and services, as well as providing academic accommodations for students with disabilities. Services are intended to maximize independence and encourage the integration of students with disabilities into all areas of college life.

Accessibility with a graphics of an eye, hand, ear, and brain

Who is eligible for Accessibility Services & Accommodations?

Students with disabilities may be eligible for Accessibility Services and accommodations. Assurance of equal educational opportunities rests upon legal foundations established by federal law, specifically Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 and the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. By federal law, a person with a disability is a person who:

  • has a physical or mental impairment;
  • has a record of such impairment; or
  • is regarded as having such an impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities such as self-care, walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing or learning.

Students with disabilities registered with The Center for Academic Success (CAS) will be assigned an Academic Consultant (advanced graduate student in School Psychology) to work with them to arrange accommodations and identify existing campus resources (Writing Center, Tutoring Services, Wellness Center, advisors, etc.). In addition, Academic Consultants will support self-advocacy development, time-management, organization, study skills and test-taking strategies.

How do I request Academic Accommodations?

  • Request desired accommodations by completing the Academic Accommodation Request Form.
  • Provide CAS with current medical, psychological, psycho-educational or neuropsychological documentation indicating your disability and suggested accommodations.
  • Upload any supporting disability documentation to our secure OneDrive file drop.
  • Once the above information is submitted, CAS staff will contact you to set up a meeting to discuss your request, determine eligibility and review departmental policies and procedures.
  • If eligibility is established, a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) that outlines approved accommodations will be collaboratively developed with you for the semester. You must provide your LOA to your instructors.
    • LOAs will be made available at the beginning of each semester or as soon as eligibility is determined.
    • Students should meet with each of their instructors to discuss accommodation needs.
    • Should the instructor have any questions or concerns, they are encouraged to contact the student’s Academic Consultant and/or the Director of CAS. It is the responsibility of the instructor to assure the confidentiality of information regarding students with disabilities.

What academic accommodations are available?

All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis and should be discussed with the student’s Academic Consultant within the first two weeks of the semester or as soon as the need for accommodation is determined to be appropriate. Common accommodations include but are not limited to:

  • Extended time on exams
  • Reduced distraction environment for exams
  • Note-taking assistance
  • Permission to use assisting technology

Please see our Housing Accommodations page for details, processes and forms.

Students seeking a modification to have an emotional support animal (ESA) in their residence are required to first submit their disability-related information via the Emotional Support Animal Request Form to the Center for Academic Success. CAS will then email the student to discuss the next steps regarding the University's ESA policy and procedures.

Please note that emotional support animals are not allowed in campus housing until the modification is officially approved and all steps in the ESA policy and procedures are completed.