Windows Defender is the current Windows virus protection software for Faculty and Staff.
For student, faculty, and staff Windows PC antivirus protection on campus and at home, we recommend Microsoft Defender Antivirus. It comes pre-installed on your machine, so there is no need to install any third-party software.
- Contrary to popular belief, Mac users can get viruses and other malicious items which is why an Antivirus software is of the utmost importance in today's technology driven world.
Some Ways a Virus can propagate:
- Through P2P file sharing utilities such as BitTorrent, Morpheus, Kazaa, LimeWire, and iMesh, among many others
- Having shares that allow everyone full access
- Infected email attachments
- Vulnerabilities in your operating system
Ways to avoid a virus:
- Do not download from or share files to a Peer2Peer site
- Do not open emails with attachments that are not expected or from an unknown source
- Update your anti-virus and Windows Updates regularly
- Do not open files that may be infected
- If in doubt, err on the side of caution
Some informational web page links from Microsoft
If you would like to report a virus to the Alfred University ITS Department or if you have questions please call the Helpdesk at 607-871-2222.