Lecture Capture at Alfred University
What is Lecture Capture?
Lecture capturing involves the recording of lectures for later viewing by students. This method can be used for online courses or on-campus courses.
Alfred University uses Panopto as its lecture capture software. Panopto can be used with Mac or Windows operating systems. Lectures can be recorded using a laptop or web cam. The following capture options are available:
- Video of instructor
- Audio of instructor speaking
- Screen cast and audio of instructor speaking
- Video, screencast, and audio of the instructor speaking
Lecture Capturing Best Practices & RecommendationsFor Online Courses
- Recorded lectures for online courses should be limited to 15 minutes in length
- Lectures should be recorded using a laptop, in the instructor’s office or other distraction-free location; recycling a full-length lecture from the classroom is discouraged
- Post a short assignment, activity, quiz, or self-assessment to accompany each lecture
- Share the lecture in Canvas, so the students can stream it regardless of software or operating system; Panopto is integrated with Canvas
- Please do not upload video files to Canvas (which were recorded outside of Panopto); some students may not be able to open them, and the course will run out of space
- Record lectures with Panopto, instead of a video camera
- Contact ITS for webcam recommendations and placement assistance
- Share the URL of the lecture in Canvas, so the students can stream it regardless of software or operating system
- Please do not upload video files to Canvas; some students may not be able to open them, and the course will run out of space
Activate Panopto in Canvas
Panopto is integrated with Canvas. To activate Panopto in a Canvas course, please use the activation instructions.
A recorded Panopto training webinar is available for viewing at your convenience. If you would like to ask specific questions to a Panopto professional, Panopto offers a weekly Q&A session every Thursday at 1:00pm. Panopto instructions are available on the Panopto Support website.