Online Student Consumer Protection

Alfred University participates in the National Council’s State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (NC-SARA), which allows AU to provide distance education to students residing in other NC-SARA states. For a list of participating states and institutions, you may visit the NC-SARA directory.

NC-SARA requires AU to provide distance education students residing in other NC-SARA states with the opportunity to file grievances. A student may file a grievance if they feel they have been misled, or did not receive the educational experience they expected. Out-of-state distance education students may have their complaints investigated in accordance with NC-SARA policies. The following grievance procedure must be followed:

  1. The student must first file the complaint at the institutional level, with the University Ombuds Officer. Information on the handling of internal grievances is available on AU's Ombuds Officer web page.
  2. If the complaint is not resolved at the institutional level, the student may file a complaint with NYSED, which is the NC-SARA State Portal Entity. NYSED will investigate and resolve allegations of misleading or false information.

Additional information on the student complaint process and recommended procedure is available from NC-SARA.

Any complaints made by students residing within New York State are not subject to NC-SARA involvement, and should be directed to the University Ombuds Officer. Any complaints made regarding grades or student conduct are governed by Alfred University policy and are not subject to NC-SARA involvement.

Any individuals interested or involved in Alfred University programs leading to professional licensure are encouraged to visit AU's web page on Professional Licensure Disclosures.

Quick Links for Consumer Protection & Grievances