Alfred University has authorized the National Student Clearinghouse to provide enrollment and degree verifications. The National Student Clearinghouse can be contacted at:www.degreeverify.org
National Student Clearinghouse
2300 Dulles Station Boulevard, Suite 300
Herndon, VA 20171
The typical academic load of full time students at Alfred University is 16-18 credit hours per semester.
- Most courses meet for 1 (50-minute) hour per week for each semester credit hour, or the equivalent.
- Courses with labs typically meet for 2 to 3 hours per week of class time plus 2 to 3 hours per week of lab time.
- Art studios meet 1.5 to 2 hours per week for each credit hour.
On a weekly basis, students should expect to spend a minimum of two hours outside of class studying and completing assignments for each hour spent in class (three hours per week outside of class for each hour in class for art studios); which is a minimum of 45 hours of total learning time per credit hour for the term. Students taking an online course should, likewise, expect to spend about 45 hours of total learning time per credit hour in a term; the same amount of time as in a traditional, on-campus course.
The Registrar and the Deans review the class schedule each semester and review at least annually courses and programs as published in our catalogs in order to ensure compliance with credit hour requirements.Articulation and Cooperative Agreements with Other Colleges and Universities
Each online course is delivered through the Canvas Learning Management System using a unique student ID and password issued by Alfred University ITS and stewarded by procedures in the Registrar's and Enrollment Management Offices. A "Chain of Authentication" begins when a student applies for admission or enrolls in a course. In order for a record to be established, at the very minimum to enroll in any course (residential or online), we require Social Security Number, date of birth, and a signature. For admission to the University, the authentication standards are more stringent, requiring DOB, a Social Security number, parent name and address, high school transcripts, college transcripts, letters of recommendation, SAT or Act scores. This documentation is required before an applicant is "verified." Once the required official information is submitted and approved, our "accounts creation" process is triggered to create a unique online network login that authenticates access to nearly all network resources such as AU email and the Canvas LMS. Students are required to take an online safety course that highlights the importance of keeping network username and password private and secure.
Alfred University students often have a choice of voting locally in Allegany County or by absentee ballot in the home county or state. Download a voter registration form and get more information about voting in New York State from the NYS Board of Elections. Paper copies of NYS Voter Registration forms are available on-campus at the Center for Academic Success, Herrick Library, Scholes Library, Powell Information Desk and the Office of Residence Life. For information about voter registration in other states, visit USA.gov
- Graduation Application
- Change of Address
- Change of Catalog and Degree Requirements
- Change of AU College/School
- Change or Declare Major/Minor Advisor form
- Directory Information Restriction/Retraction
- Parent/Guardian Access Waiver
- Petition for Transfer Credit after Matriculation
- Plan of Study for Independent Work
- Plan of Study for Independent Work-Graduate
- Request for Audit Registration
- Request for Challenge Exam
- Request for Overload or Late Add-Drop
- Select or Cancel Pass-Fail Option
- Study Abroad Course Transfer Approval
- Withdrawal from a Course
- Leave-Withdrawal From Graduate Program
CONTACT THE STUDENT SERVICE CENTER