Approving Leave Reports of Exempt Employees via BannerWeb
Below is the proper procedure to reviewing and approving Employees' leave reports on the BannerWeb site.
- You will now be at the “Alfred University” page, click Enter Secure Area
- Enter your User ID and PIN. Your USER ID is your Banner 9-digit number that begins with A (or you may enter your Social Security number). The first time you LOGIN, your PIN will be your birthday –two digit month, two digit day, two digit year format (i.e. someone born on September 5, 1958 would enter 090558), click Login or enter. Next you will be asked to enter a new PIN and you may be asked to provide a simple question and answer which will be used in case you forget your PIN. If you are a return user, use your existing PIN.
- This will bring you to the “Main Menu”; select Employee either at the top or on the list; “Employee” page appears
- Select Leave Report; “Time Reporting Selection” page appears
- Select Approve or Acknowledge Time; “Approver Selection” page appears. For day to day operations, always go in as an approver (approve leave report, change leave report or return for correction). If you are a Proxy for an approver, you must select the primary approver’s name from the list. Only if you need to use the capabilities of a superuser, check the superuser box (extract non started Leave Reports, or submit “in progress” Leave Reports on behalf of the employee)
- On the left, your timesheet org is displayed under DEPARTMENT and DESCRIPTION. Leave Reports and Timesheets are grouped separately; use radio button under MY CHOICE to select which one you want to access. Use drop down box under PAY PERIOD to select the correct Pay Period you wish to approve. (MN means Monthly Leave Reports). Under ‘Sort Order,’ use radio button to choose how Leave Reports are displayed, press Select; “Department Summary” page appears. (If sorted by status, then name, those Leave Reports submitted for your approval appear at the top. If sorted by name, employees show alphabetically no matter what the status of the Leave Report.)
- Employee’s Leave Reports appear and are grouped by the following statuses:
- Not Started - employee has not yet started to enter hours on his Leave Report
- In Progress – Leave Report has been opened by employee, hours may or may not have been entered, but it has not been submitted to you
- Pending – employee has submitted Leave Report, it is waiting for your approval
- Return for Correction – you have returned the Leave Report back to employee for correction; employee must make corrections and resubmit to you
- Error Messages – entry errors need to be corrected and resubmitted
- Completed – Leave Report has been approved; the Leave Balances have been updated
- Select the name of the employee you want to review. The Next button will let you move to the next employee’s Leave Report. Previous will take you back to the previous Leave Report. After reviewing the Leave Report, click Previous Menu to return to the “Department Summary” page.
- You may approve the Leave Report using one of the options below:
- While reviewing each Leave Report, you may select the Approve and Save button, then Next to go to the next Leave Report or Previous Menu to return to the Summary page
- From the Summary page, you may approve an individuals’ pending Leave Report by checking the box under the Approve of FYI column and then Save
- From the Summary page, you may approve all of the pending Leave Reports in the department by selecting the Select All, Approve Or FYI button and then Save
- If you need to make a correction on a Leave Report, click on Change Time Record from the Summary page or Change Record from the Leave Report page. Make the necessary changes by going to the appropriate column and entering the correct information. Remember to click Save. You should inform the employee of any changes you make to their Leave Report by selecting Comments, typing in the reason for any changes, pressing Save, and then Previous Menu. When you have made all the changes, Approve the Leave Report using one of the methods listed above.
- If you prefer, you may send the Leave Report back to the employee for any needed corrections. While reviewing the Leave Report, select Return For Correction to send it back. Be sure to include Comments, so the employee will know why you are returning the Leave Report. Remember you will have to Approve the Leave Report once the employee completes the corrections and resubmits it to you.
- You are now done; benefit time has been recorded, Leave Balances for the employee are updated. To Exit Leave Reports, click the EXIT button on the top right of the screen.
Entered days can only be edited and/or changed before the approval process has been completed. Make sure the days reported are correct by using the Preview function before you approve. Also remember; Leave Reports must be approved even when the employee has not taken any time.
Click Comments to communicate with your employee. If you want to be informed about the employee’s time away from the office other than accrued benefit time; (e.g. excused, consulting, holiday, bereavement), this is where the employee would report it. The date associated with a Comment is the date it is written, so when referencing a day in the month make sure you indicate the date in the comments so the recipient will know which day you are referring to. After making remarks, click Save and Previous Menu to return to your Leave Report. If an employee takes Family Sick time, they are required to indicate in the comments section which family member they are taking the time off for.
Only use your superuser capabilities when it is necessary to submit on behalf of an employee. You can submit a Leave Report for an employee, but then you must also approve it as the approver. You can extract not-started Leave Reports, enter days, submit, and approve. Anything you do as a superuser will be documented as OVERRIDDEN, meaning that you have done something on behalf of the employee.
Leave Reports are due within 5 days after the end of the month. We have created an automated email to remind you to approve Leave Reports that have been submitted to you. The reminders will stop once you have approved any Leave Report in Pending status.
The accrual of benefit time still occurs as part of the normal payroll process; as a result when the payroll is completed (usually the Monday or Tuesday prior to pay day) accruals will be updated. However, time taken is not updated until the Leave Report is submitted and approved. Therefore, it is IMPERATIVE that Leave Reports are approved in a timely fashion in order for the Leave Balances to be accurate.
You can view the leave balances of your employee by accessing the Leave Balance Link to the right of their name on the “Department Summary Page”.