Holiday/Payroll Schedule, Timesheets/Leave Reports and Payroll Forms
Below is information on how and when employees can expect to get paid.
This schedule is for work-study and non-work-study students, hourly non-statutory employees, new non-statutory salaried employees, and all statutory employees paid on the Alfred University lagged Banner payrolls.
2020 Current Payroll
Non Statutory Exempt employees hired prior to 7/1/05
Timesheets and Leave Reports
For information as it relates to entering time worked on timesheets, entering time off on leave reports, and approving timesheets and leave reports.
If the employee does not submit their electronic timesheet by the Monday deadline of a payroll week, the employee will need to visit the Office of Human Resources to pick up a paper time sheet. The employee will fill in the hours and take it to their Supervisor for approval. The Supervisor must physically return the time sheet back to Human Resources. Please note, that late timesheets may not be paid until the next pay period, depending on when they are submitted. Our official means of time entry is BannerWeb.
Timesheet Helpful Hints
A work week at Alfred University runs from Sunday-Saturday.
Overtime is paid at time and a half for any hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a work week.
If the employee takes any sort of accrued leave during the week (vacation, sick, personal, floating holiday), then they will not eligible for OT. In the example below, this employee takes 8 hours of vacation during the week. They now only have 35 hours worked. So they will be paid straight time for a total of 43 hours during that week.
If the employee takes accrued leave during the week, but works over 40 hours they would be eligible for OT on any hours worked in excess of 40 excluding the accrued leave hours. In the example below, this employee takes 8 hours of vacation during the week. They now have 44 hours worked. So they will be paid OT for 4 hours during that week.
Earning Codes It should be noted that when using accrued leave on your timesheet, the hours entered for the leave should not exceed the normal hours a day an employee is scheduled to work.
- Worked - only true worked hours entered
- Vacation - only vacation hours recorded in half or full day increments
- Sick - only sick hours recorded in hour increments as necessary
- Family Sick - AU designates 5 days per calendar year (January-December) for you to use to assist an ill/injured immediate family member. There are also 5 additional days that are designated as Family Emergency sick leave to attend to an emergency medical situation which requires the employee’s presence at home to arrange for care of an ill family member, or at the hospital while the family member undergoes surgery or is hospitalized with a serious illness. This leave comes out of your sick bank but should be coded as family sick for tracking purposes.
- Floating Holiday & Personal Day - can be used in 1 hour increments (Non-Statutory employees accrue time in January and must use time by the end of December) (Statutory employees accrue time on their Anniversary date and must use the time by their next Anniversary date)
- Merit Day - must be used in whole day increments. Granted to Non-Statutory regular hourly employees in recognition of superior attendance, the University grants employees who are absent from work for no more than one day for any reason (excluding vacation), one paid Merit Day off from work. Employees who have no absences (excluding vacation) are granted two paid Merit Days. Merit days will be granted in January and must be used by the end of December.
- Excused - should only be used to enter bereavement leave, weather related days where the University closes, jury duty, court or other legal hearings, or the 1/2 day of religious holiday. When an employee enters excused hours there should always be a comment made in the comments section in regards to what the excused time was used for.
- Holiday - should only be used when the University is closed for a designated Holiday as listed above on the Holiday Schedule.
- FMLA - this field will only be used if you are out on approved FMLA leave. HR will be completing your timesheet for you while on leave.
- Paid Leave Day - this field will only be used for Non-Statutory temporary employees with a one year appointment who receive 10 Benefit Days.
When you elect direct deposit that allows payroll to directly put your net paycheck in your account. This money is available on Friday morning of a payday, which is a lot more convenient than having to cash a check. You can elect or cancel your direct deposit at anytime throughout your employment and may have your check go into multiple checking/savings accounts. Please return this form to Human Resources by Inter-Office mail or by stopping by and dropping it off. Do not send through e-mail.
The purpose of Tax Form W-4 is simple: it is used by AU Payroll to withhold the proper amount of federal income tax from your paycheck. It is recommended that employees submit a new W-4 tax form each year or any time their personal or financial situation changes. The W4 form is a form that you may change at any time throughout your employment. Please return this form to Human Resources by Inter-Office mail or by stopping by and dropping it off. Do not send through e-mail.
The purpose of Tax Form IT-2104 is simple: it is used by AU Payroll to withhold the proper amount of state income tax from your paycheck. It is recommended that employees submit a new IT-2104 tax form each year or any time their personal or financial situation changes. The IT-2104 form is a form that you may change at anytime throughout your employment. Please return this form to Human Resources by Inter-Office mail or by stopping by and dropping it off. Do not send through e-mail.
The purpose of this form is that the employee is clear about their rate of pay including overtime rates (if applicable). The employer is to have the employee sign this form before starting work. Every single employee, including students, must sign this form before beginning work or when there is a rate change.
The purpose of this form is for departments that need a redistribution completed by Payroll to change funds from one FOAP to another FOAP.
The purpose of the Taxable Gifts and Awards Form is to report any gifts that employees receive to Payroll so the appropriate taxes may be withheld.
W2s are available in BannerWeb earlier than paper copies. You may elect this feature mid- January if you are a new employee. If you are an existing employee and have already elected, there is no need to re-elect.