Skype for Business Quick Start Guide for Mac
A communication tool built for businesses to connect anywhere, anytime.
Table of Contents
- Install Skype for Business - Mac
- Sign into Skype for Business
- Chat in Skype for Business
- Share and Schedule in Skype for Business
Sign into Skype for Business
- Enter your work or school account.
- Select Continue.
- If your organization provides instructions, follow the prompts on the screen. Otherwise, enter your password.
- Select the Keep me signed in check box if you'd like Skype for Business to save your information so you don't have to enter it each time you sign in.
- Select Sign In.
Set up your audio and video devices
- Select Skype for Business - Preferences... - Audio/Video to select your microphone and speakers.
- Select Apple - System Preferences - Sound to set the Output and Input volumes.
Chat in Skype for Business on Mac
Find and add a contact
- Type a name in Search for Contacts, and select your contact's listing when it appears.
- Select the contact and select Groups to add them to a group or to Favorites.
When you add a person to your contact list, they receive a notification. External contacts must accept your invitation before you can see their availability.
Start an Instant Message (IM)
- Select a contact, and then select Send an Instant Message .
- Type your message in the Type a message here... box, and press Return or select .
Start a voice or video call
Select a contact, then on their contact card select or Start a Call or Start a Video Call .
Note: If you don't have a camera, the video call options are not available.
Receive a call
Select Answer to accept the call, or Ignore to dismiss the call and send it to voice mail, if available.
End a call
Select Hang Up or press Ctrl+Enter.
Note: To end an instant message, close the conversation window.
Share and schedule in Skype for Business on Mac
Share your desktop
Select Share Screen to share your desktop in a meeting, call, or IM conversation.
You need to be a presenter in a meeting to share your screen. If the option appears dimmed, ask one of the presenters to give you presenter access.
Select Stop Sharing when you're done.
Send a file in an IM
Select a contact, then select Send File in the Type a message here... box.
Change your presence status
- Select your photo or avatar, then select the status menu arrow below your name.
- Select the status you want to display.
- To undo your change and have Skype for Business automatically update your status, select Automatic.
Join a Skype for Business meeting
In Outlook Calendar, open the event and select the Join online meeting link.
Schedule a Skype for Business meeting
While composing a meeting request in Outlook, select Organize Meeting - Online Meeting - Add Online Meeting.