Skype for Business Quick Start Guide for Windows
A communication tool built for businesses to connect anywhere, anytime.
Table of Contents
- Install Skype for Business - Windows
- Sign into Skype for Business
- Chat in Skype for Business
- Share and Schedule in Skype for Business
- Enter your work or school account.
- Enter your password.
- Select the Save my password check box if you'd like Skype for Business to save your password, so you don't have to enter it each time you sign in.
- Select Sign In.
- From Show Menu, select: Tools - Audio Device Settings.
- Below Audio device, select the device you want and customize the settings:
- Speaker - Select Play , and drag the slider to adjust the volume.
- Microphone - Speak to test the volume, and drag the slider until the progress bar reaches the middle of the test area.
- Ringer - Select Play , and drag the slider to adjust the volume.
- Adjust the audio settings and select OK.
- From Show Menu, select: Tools - Video Device Settings.
- Below Video device, select the camera you want.
- Adjust the camera angle to center your image in the preview pane.
- Select Camera Settings if you want to adjust the video processor or camera controls.
- Select Crop and center my video in meetings to focus and zoom in on your face during video conferences.
- Select OK.
Chat in Skype for Business
- On the Contacts tab, in the Find someone box, type a name or email address.
- In the search results, right-click the person you want to add, and select Add to Contacts List.
- Select the contact group you want to add the person to, if you have contact groups set up.
When you add a person to your contact list, they receive a notification. External contacts must accept your invitation before you can see their availability.
- On the Contacts tab, point to a contact's picture, and then select Send an IM .
- To add others, select Invite More People in the upper-right corner.
Tip: To IM with multiple people, you can also press Ctrl and select each contact. Then right-click and select Send an IM.
- Type your message.
- Select Send or press Enter.
Quickly place a call to any online contact.
- Point to a contact's picture and select Call or Start a video call .
- To add voice or video to an existing conversation, select Call or Video Call .
Note: If you don't have a camera, the video call options are not available.
Select an option:
- Select Answer to accept the call.
- Select Ignore to dismiss the call and send it to voice mail, if available.
- Select Options and then select:
- Reply by IM to dismiss the call and start an instant message session with the caller.
- Set to Do Not Disturb to dismiss the call and change your status.
- Answer With Audio Only to answer a video call without sending or receiving video.
Select Hang Up or press Ctrl + Enter.
Note: To end an instant message, close the conversation window.
Share and schedule in Skype for Business
In a conversation window or messaging window:
- Select Share Content and select an option:
- Share your Desktop to show the entire contents of your desktop.
- Share a Window and double-click the program or window you want to display.
The Currently sharing tab and yellow border around the shared content appears.
- Select Stop Sharing when you're done.
- Drag the file from File Explorer to the conversation window, or
- Copy the file or image you want to send, and paste it into the conversation window. Everyone in the conversation receives a notification, which they can accept or decline.
- Select the contacts from your contacts list.
- Drag the file onto the selection.
The selected contacts receive a notification, which they can accept or decline.
Your presence status is automatically set based on your Outlook calendar. To manually change it:
- Select the status arrow below your name.
- Select the presence indicator you want to display.
- To undo, or have Skype for Business automatically update your status, select Reset Status.
For more information, see Change your presence status in Skype for Business.
There are multiple ways to join a Skype for Business meeting:
- Select the Meetings icon in the Skype for Business window, and then double-click the meeting to join.
- Select Join Skype Meeting in an Outlook meeting request.
- Select Join Online in an Outlook meeting reminder.
In Outlook or Outlook Online:
- Open your Outlook calendar.
- Select Home - New Skype Meeting.
- Complete the meeting request.
Tip: Before you send the meeting request, set options, like who can get into the meeting directly, and who has to wait in the virtual lobby.