Support for Online Students
Online courses are offered during Allen Term (December - January), Summer Term (June - August), and occasionally during the spring and fall semesters. Support is available for all students taking online courses.
Students taking online courses must have the following:
- A computer (Mac or PC); Windows 7 or greater or OSX 10.6 or greater
- Firefox or Chrome
- Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- A high-speed Internet connection
Learning Time Requirement
The New York State Education Department requires that online students spend approximately 45 hours of learning time per credit; the same amount as a traditional, on-campus course.
Email is the official method of communication at Alfred University. To activate your account, please visit My AU and follow these instructions. To log into your email, visit My AU and click the email icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
All online courses are taught with the Canvas Learning Management System. To access Canvas, visit My AU and click the Canvas icon in the upper right-hand corner of the screen. Log in with your AU username (do not include "@alfred.edu") and AU password. Canvas instructions are available for all students. All technical requests related to Canvas should be sent to the ITS Helpdesk.
Banner Web/ Registration
Students use Banner Web to register for courses, perform administrative tasks, and view final grades. To log into Banner, use your AU ID (A00123456, for example) and your date of birth (in 6 digits) as your PIN. You will be required to change your PIN. Non-Matriculated students must register for online courses using the Non-Matriculated Student Registration form.
Assistance from the ITS Helpdesk
At least one week before the course start date, online students should complete the following tasks (unless they have already been completed):
- Activate your AU email account and change your password
- Log into your AU email account
- Log into Canvas and locate your courses
- Log into Banner and change your PIN
- Read AU's Academic Dishonesty Policy
- Contact the ITS Helpdesk with any technical questions or concerns
- Email the instructor with any questions or concerns about the course